Apart from the obvious aesthetic values of carpet flooring, they all feel great to walk on and these days even with children and pets to worry about, today’s stain protection is extremely good. Even stains caused by the dreaded red wine are no longer a worry.
When considering a new carpet, give some thought to where it is going to be used and what the traffic flow will be like over it. You may wish to consider using area rugs over an otherwise plain tile or wood floor, instead of all carpet.
Before you choose your carpet flooring you should know what the various carpet types are.
First, there are the various types of fibers available – what your carpet is actually made of. The main types are Nylon, Acrylic, Olefin, Polyester and Wool.
Polyester Fiber Characteristics
Acrylic Fiber Characteristics
Olefin Fiber Characteristics
Next, consider the way the fibers are constructed – the pile.
There are several different construction types of pile but in order to simplify things it is easier to mention only the main five – Textured Saxony, Saxony, Frieze, Cut and Loop and Multi-Level Loop.
Each of these construction techniques can be combined to create variations in carpet flooring texture.
- Textured surface helps to hide footprints
- Great casual appearance
- Extremely popular style
- Ideal for active families
- Can be used in any room
- Shows every footprint
- Smooth, cut-pile surface
- Elegant formal style
- Versatile in performance and appearance
- Due to its construction, it shows shading
- Works well in traditional or formal areas
- Textured surface with knobby appearance
- Extremely durable and long wearing
- Texture helps hide footprints
- Great for active rooms
Cut and Loop
- Distinctive carved appearance
- Construction gives a variety of surface levels
- Multi-color helps hide a variety of surface levels
- Adds variety to many different room settings
- Several different heights of loops
- Creates a unique patterned effect
- Has a casual appearance
- Very durable
- Hides traffic well